quarta-feira, 11 de fevereiro de 2009

Jimmy Carr's favourite room

Rosanna Greenstreet interviews the comedian Jimmy Carr about his bedroom.

My favourite room is my bedroom. I enjoy sleep, as all comedians do. We work about 20minutes of the day, we've got to do something with the rest of the time and sleep eats up a good proportion.

The brilliant thing about my bedroom is the fact that it's my office as well. When I had a proper job, my commute used to be an hour and a half each way; now I've got it down to less than three seconds. And that includes putting a dressing gown on.

There's a bookshelf full of distractions. I tend not to read fiction, but I've got a lot of reference books. If you are sitting in front of a blank page, you can always go and look up some fact and write a joke around that. I also have biographies of comics.

The walls in my bedroom are terracotta, which makes the room look a bit Spanish, and I've got sea grass on the floor, so I've now got very hard feet. I have a big pine monstrosity of a bed, which I inherited from my mother. That sounds vaguely oedipal; I assure you it isn't - it's just a nice, comfy bed. I also have a big desk. I mistakenly bought a computer from a friend who knows something about computers. So I've got an enormous thing that could probably bring down Western civilisation, but I only use it to word-process on. I've got Surround Sound for the computer - when I switch on, it has been known to genuinely scare me.

The most exciting thing about my bedroom is that I first made love to my girlfriend here, and it's where I fell in love. Her name is Karoline with a K - she's Canadian. The spelling held me back from falling in love for a while.

The worst thing that's ever happened in my bedroom is insomnia. I went through a patch of not being able to get to sleep and I had a TV in the room at the time. There's a huge temptation to stay up and say 'I'd better watch some wrestling until four.' So now I refuse to have a telly in my room. I am hugely fond of my battered old Roberts radio, though. I think I'm hitting middle age - I'm keen on Five Live and listen to an awful lot of Radio Four.

(The text is HERE)

NOTE:
Christine's favourite room HERE (with pictures).

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário